Welcome!



WELCOME!

Peek into the life of this little family in all its chaos...and pure joy! You'll enter the mind of a mother as she unfolds the many random thoughts of her everyday life - sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always from the heart. Enjoy!


Saturday, December 17, 2011

Writing, How I Heart Thee

Dear Blog,

How I've missed you. Mick's fast asleep as he takes his afternoon nap. We had another fun day outdoors sledding and playing in the snow. Thanks to the lovely CO sunshine, we were even able to take a short walk together. Now as my little monster sleeps away peacefully, I satisfy my urge to blog. Writing and painting are definitely my creative outlets. If I didn't journal my thoughts from time to time, then I'd probably go bonkers. So thank you to my laptop, Eblogger and the ability to type 75+wpm.

I remember growing up in elementary and my parents buying me a new journal all the time. Some of them would come with a magnetic strip to keep the notebook sealed, but my favorite of all time was a small pink diary I had with a tiny lock and key. My sister had a matching one but I believe hers was baby blue. We both wrote in them feverishly after our big move of '91. After living in Germany for six years, my father was given an assignment for us to move back the United States. So the little Army family of four packed shop and flew to California to where we would once again create a home and make new friends. It was a hard move as southern Cali was a complete culture shock to us compared to the clear skies and tall mountains of Deutschland. So my sister and I wrote in our diaries every night while we lived in SoCal. It was difficult adjusting to the change after spending most of our childhood abroad and reading those pages from the past was like being in a time machine. I think ever since then, I've been journaling moreso then ever.


In my early years of highschool I was painfully shy and I would write about the current crush I had or upcoming parties I wanted to go to, but couldn't because my mother was so strict. I look back at things like that and I laugh now because I realize how insecure and naive I was to the world. Nevertheless, I always managed to find comfort in spilling my guts on paper. Today, I find comfort in my relationship with God and when I do have the time, in painting or blogging. I think the best way though to channel your thoughts are through letter-writing. Think about all the people you know in your life that could use a friendly hello or update on the good things in your life. Grandparents, neighbors, old friends; they all like to hear how you're doing and if you just don't have the time or family and friends to write to, then try writing to a child in need. Sponsorship is one great way to channel that positivity and the best thing is, if you don't have the funds to donate to a child or family in need, there are great foundations that actually allow you to just send personal letters of support and love. Sometimes, that's all a little kid or teenager may need. Simple words of encouragement. It does wonders to the soul! :)

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread." Mother Teresa


The little boy above are photos of my sponsor son Sonu Uikey from India. Mickey and I write to him every month and send him little drawings in the mail. The last gift contribution I sent was used to purchase the family's first livestock! I know it sounds silly because the majority of us live pretty comfortably, but a goat for an extremely impoverished family is wonderful!


For the most part, my close relationships and work consume my life so there's little time to write when I'm tired all the time, but believe me, if I could paint, write and post photos every day, I would! :)