Welcome!



WELCOME!

Peek into the life of this little family in all its chaos...and pure joy! You'll enter the mind of a mother as she unfolds the many random thoughts of her everyday life - sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always from the heart. Enjoy!


Thursday, June 19, 2008

Raw Pasta Sauce

Not having had anything to eat yet due to my job as nightly entertainer for two dogs and a baby, I finally felt hungry. Rummaging through my pantry; I realize that I desperately need to go grocery shopping this weekend. I could just reheat the BBQ leftovers in the fridge that I made the other night, however, I just wasn't feeling that particular meal again. I also didn't make dinner tonight because Jay went straight to his weekly softball game and Mathias just ended up eating turkey with pureed carrots before heading to bed. So basically, I was left with minimal meal options.

The house was quiet and I was still hungry. Standing alone in front of a partially empty cupboard - except for the large quantities of canned veggies, baby food, cereal, pasta, dog biscuits & Jay's ginormous tubs of protein powder - I was pretty much SOL. Then my eyes darted back to the small bag of pasta. Aah, pasta. My diet permits me to eat too many carbs, especially at night, but man do I love 'em. Noticing the bag was slightly small and most of the pasta already gone, I tell myself that a little bit of carbs isn't so bad. Plus, I'm notorious for whipping something tasty out of nothing. Jay and I did that all the time when we lived in an apartment. One learns to improvise and make best out of what they have.

With pasta in hand, I decide to make a simple sauce. It was soooo good. This will be a once-a-week dinner for sure. I just chopped up tomatoes, basil and garlic (better with a food processor, I'm sure) then added salt, pepper, a dash of sugar and a splash of olive oil...alright, I also added a pinch of red pepper flakes for some heat. Top it all off with a sprinkle of Parmesan and voila. Perfect summer meal with a hearty green salad. I was so content with the meal that I took a picture of it. Simple, yet light and delicious.

Now I'm craving something sweet...