Welcome!



WELCOME!

Peek into the life of this little family in all its chaos...and pure joy! You'll enter the mind of a mother as she unfolds the many random thoughts of her everyday life - sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always from the heart. Enjoy!


Thursday, June 5, 2008

I Found My New Niche

Landscaping. Yep, my new (2nd) love is working on my garden. When Jason and I bought our home last summer - right before Mathias was born - we had hired a landscaper to come out and create a xeriscape foundation for us.

According to Wikipedia's definition:

"Xeriscaping refers to landscaping in ways that do not require supplemental irrigation. It is promoted in areas that do not have easily accessible supplies of fresh water, and is catching on in other areas as climate patterns shift."

This type of landscaping is very popular and cost-efficent in Colorado. Wanting to use less water and focusing on having a bigger lawn in our backyard; Jay and I went along with the xeriscape idea for the front. Landscaping stones were used in place of grass and mulch was added in the center of our yard as well in front of the porch. However, the guys that landscaped our front yard didn't do such an appealing job. At least not to my standards. I wanted some more greenery and lush plants. The yard looked too industrial and naked. So I recruited the help of my sister and together we added some nice colorful perennials that would eventually bloom into good-size bushes and flowers. My favorite of all the plants are the lavender bushes. They smell intoxicating and, once fully grown, will be a sweet addition to our yard.