Welcome!



WELCOME!

Peek into the life of this little family in all its chaos...and pure joy! You'll enter the mind of a mother as she unfolds the many random thoughts of her everyday life - sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always from the heart. Enjoy!


Saturday, January 21, 2012

Say Kimchi!

Kimchi is not for the faint of heart: It reeks of raw garlic and hot chilies. Think fermented cabbage or onions or even cucumbers. Think heavily seasoned sauerkraut, but very spicy. My father can't stand the smell hence why my mother has to keep a separate refrigerator in the garage for the jars and tupperware of Korean food. But I tell you what, he'll still eat it like the best of 'em alongside a hot plate of delicious Korean barbecue. I personally think there are far worst smells in the world of food (like canned tuna or swiss cheese) but I am half Korean so I may be a little biased. :) Anyway, the reason for this post is that I'm thrilled to share that my mom and I made a date next month for a mini kimchi extravaganza in the kitchen. I am going to help her step by step in the process of making it fresh (which tastes amazing just like that already) then fermenting them. I can't wait. I haven't decided if I want pear or apple slices in my kimchi yet, but I've tried them both and mmm-mmm delish! The varieties are endless...so my mom and I will most likely just settle with three different kinds. Anyone who has ever observed their parent or grandparent cook an old family recipe knows the love, appreciation and history that comes behind the mastery. With that said, I promise to keep you all posted when our kimchi making day arrives.