Welcome!



WELCOME!

Peek into the life of this little family in all its chaos...and pure joy! You'll enter the mind of a mother as she unfolds the many random thoughts of her everyday life - sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always from the heart. Enjoy!


Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words


"Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others."
~ Jonathan Swift


Saturdays...my favorite day of the week. This Saturday I had planned to take munchkin to the Denver Aquarium. My coworker and dear friend suggested we take our little ones to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo instead to save some money. I thought that was a fantastic idea.

Unfortunately, our date was postponed for another weekend as the weather forcasted High Wind Warnings throughout Colorado all day. Mathias is currently getting over a cold/cough so I didn't think it would be wise to walk around outside in 70+ mph winds to look at animals. As much as he'd disagree with me, I had to reschedule our zoo date for another time. Luckily, his attention span is short so quickly he forgot about the zoo.

So our "snow day" forced us to come up with things to do indoors. I grabbed a big stack of computer paper (courtesy of Jason who gave me a box of it), two paintbrushes, my colored pencils and Mickey's watercolor set. We layed out the clean white paper on a table and spread out our art supplies around us. Mr. Potato Head and Lego Jack Sparrow were there to supervise us. :) I could hear the wind howling outside the window behind us and could see the blue spruce and pine trees whipping in the wind. Snow still covered parts of the ground where the sun did not hit. It definitely looked cold outside and I was glad I decided for us to stay home.

Mickey's imagination ran wild and he immediately knew what he wanted to paint.

Mathias: I'm going to paint a drawing
Me: What kind of drawing?
Mathias: A drawing of Mathias. And a dinosaur. A dinosaur in the rain.
Me: Wow. That's great honey. Don't you need a mirror to see what you look like?
Mathias: Noooo. I'm Mathias. I know what I look like! I'm a boy.
Me: Yes you are. Ok then, let's start!
Mathias: What are you gonna paint Mommy?
Me: Hmmm (my eyes drift towards Mr. Potato Head who stood on the table)...I'm going to paint a replica of Mr. Potato Head.
Mathias: A reck-klo-kuh?
Me: Yes, a replica. Something that looks the same as something else. My painting will hopefully look the same as your toy.
Mathias: Oooooooh....a reck-klo-kuh Mr. Potato Head. Yeah, I like that. I'm drawing a reck-klo-kuh Mathias.
Me: *in shock that my son might have actually understood the word I was describing*
Mathias: And I want a reck-klo-kuh apple juice please. And reck-klo-kuh snack.
Me: *nevermind*