Welcome!



WELCOME!

Peek into the life of this little family in all its chaos...and pure joy! You'll enter the mind of a mother as she unfolds the many random thoughts of her everyday life - sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always from the heart. Enjoy!


Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Are We There Yet?

My sister, Sara, was off today so the two of us decided to take little Mickey out for a day at Grandma's. Since the outing was my idea, I offered to pick-up Sara from her house this morning and then we would leave from there to Mom's house in Divide, CO. First of all, Sara lives south from our town so it takes a good half hour to get there. Secondly, Mom's house is about a good hour or so west from my sister's. Total driving time to and from is about three hours. Add the fact that Mathias hadn't taken his first nap yet and it feels more like five hours. Let me just point out though that the entire day at Mom's was great. We all had a good time walking around the yard and enjoying the fresh mountain air. Mom proudly showed us her latest gardens and new concrete patios underneath the deck. We all enjoyed the most delicious Korean lunch as well as being silly with Mathias. That part of the visit was nice.


It was the long ride home that was...well, horrible. Mathias was fussy, sick of sitting in his car seat and just plain wanted to get out. Naturally, Sara and I did our best to comfort and entertain him the whole way to her house, but to no avail. It was brutal. I think I only saw Mathias act that way once when I was with Jay and he hadn't slept yet. Anyway, by the time I dropped off my sister, Mathias was in tears and screaming his lungs out. Poor little guy was just tired and wanted the comfort of his bed. I knew he'd eventually fall asleep and did my best to hurry home. I still had another 30 minutes of driving before we were at my house.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worst...it did. Mathias was screaming and I was doing my best to give him his sippy cup while I drove. As I turned to face forward again, I spot a cop drive past me and then quickly do a U-turn only to turn on his lights and pull me over. WTH! Rolling my eyes and muttering some unpleasant obscenities, I pull my Jeep to the side of the road in front of a house. Fabulous, I thought. Now Mathias will never get to sleep. The officer walks toward my window and kindly tells me that I was going 10 over the speed limit. I give him my best smile and say, "I know." Then he looks behind me and sees that my son is crying hysterically and that I'm holding his juice in one hand. I quickly hand over my licence & documents and out of nowhere start to cry. ***I once tried bringing on the waterworks when I got pulled over for speeding many years ago. I of course failed miserably at my pathetic attempt to gain pity from the officer at that time. It also probably didn't help that the cop was a female who just didn't buy my crybaby act.*** So there I was, bawling (for real this time) about how I had just driven all the way from Divide and then had to drop off my sister out here in the boonies...my son is fussy and wants to go home and I still have quite a way to drive...and I was hot and tired and blah blah blah. The officer just looked at me and said he would be right back. During his walk back to his vehicle, Mathias was continuously crying bloody murder. I don't think it was even two minutes before the officer came walking back to me. He handed me back my stuff and calmly replied, "Ma'am, I apologize that you had such rough day, but please just watch your speed from here on, OK?" I thanked him and apologized under heavy sobbing. Surprisingly, I didn't get a ticket. Wiping my face and making sure Mathias was OK, I drove off *slowly* and was on my way. Little man even fell asleep as soon I drove off. I couldn't wait to get home. As I drove in complete silence for the rest of way, I began thinking to myself...I really should try and memorize that excuse I just used...crying infant excluded.