Welcome!



WELCOME!

Peek into the life of this little family in all its chaos...and pure joy! You'll enter the mind of a mother as she unfolds the many random thoughts of her everyday life - sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always from the heart. Enjoy!


Monday, April 21, 2008

Traditional (Tol) Celebration

Sunday was a day of celebration for Mathias' baby cousin, Conner. Conner turned a year old and because he is part Korean; a traditional Korean birthday took place...along with the westernized tradition consisting of a cake and gifts. It is known as a Tol celebration, or child's first birthday.

Connor's birthday also allowed Jason and I to get a glimpse of what was needed for our son's first birthday. For Jason, this was all new, but for myself - this was common for me to see. My first birthday was celebrated in Korea as well as my younger sister's. The birthdays are always entertaining, especially when the Toljabee event takes place - the part where the child "chooses" his/her future. :) For more info on what is entailed in a Korean child's first birthday, check out the link below:

http://www.lifeinkorea.com/culture/tol/tol.cfm

After all the excitement and picture-taking started to dwindle down, my mother and my aunt quickly returned to the kitchen to lay out even more delicious Korean food and snacks. Since the weather was so nice, everyone then migrated outside to play games, eat more food and to just relax under clear blue skies. A fabulous ending to a great weekend...(despite the fact that I was losing my voice and gave Mathias his first cold...but that's another story).